Supporting Student Success after the First Year
Spring Convening 2019
Monday, April 15, 2019
9:30 am to 3:30 pm
(optional networking breakfast at 9:00 am)
California State University, East Bay
University Union Multipurpose Room
This convening provides an opportunity to engage with your colleagues and other campuses about how to support students after their first year, with a focus on closing equity gaps. Participants will discuss evidence-based strategies and identify opportunities for improvement.
Why focus on supporting student success after the first year?
In 2017, the systemwide retention rate for first-time, first year students in the CSU was 84 percent, yet only 59 percent of students graduated within six years, indicating there are obstacles for students after the first year that hinder their progress. Meeting the CSU’s completion and equity goals requires a concerted effort to support students at all phases of their educational journeys, as well as a more nuanced understanding of how students’ needs change over time. These issues will be the focus of the convening.
Intended learning outcomes:
- Develop a better understanding of the range and type of students’ needs after the first year, including implications for equity;
- Identify and share successes and challenges of supporting students after the first year;
- Explore evidence-based strategies to support student learning, engagement, progression, and completion;
- Build relationships with colleagues from across the CSU who are involved in campus-level efforts to strengthen student success; and
- Reflect as campus teams and apply learnings to individual campus needs and contexts.
The meeting is free for participants.
The CSU Student Success Network will reimburse campuses for travel costs according to CSU travel guidelines. Breakfast and lunch will be provided.
Contact: Terra Thorne, Convenings Director
MONDAY, APRIL 15, 2019
|9:00am||Convening: Supporting Success after the First Year|
THURSDAY, MAY 2 – SATURDAY, MAY 4, 2019
|10:00am||2018-19 Middle Leadership Academy Session 3|
FRIDAY, MAY 3, 2019
|5:00pm||2019-20 Middle Leadership Academy Application due (invite only)|
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 25, 2019
|TBD||Convening: Growth Mindset|