Transfer Student Success in the CSU
Winter Convening 2017
Friday, December 1, 2017
Hosted by CSU Long Beach
Why focus on transfer student success?
While graduation rates for community college transfers to the CSU have been increasing over the last decade, in 2016 only one-third of transfer students graduated with their bachelor’s degree in two years. This population is rapidly expanding on campuses, representing about half of new undergraduate enrollment at the CSU in 2015-16. There are strong imperatives to improve transfer graduation rates – to meet Graduation Initiative goals, to meet workforce demands, and to honor the commitment and investment these students make to their education. The California Community Colleges and the CSU have enacted reforms to help simplify student transfer processes, but many students report high levels of confusion and frustration with their transfer experience.
Intended learning outcomes:
The event provided an opportunity to learn how peers at other CSU campuses approach transfer student success and to work with colleagues from your own campus to strategize around concrete opportunities for improvement.
- Built relationships with colleagues from across the CSU who are involved in campus-level efforts to build and strengthen transfer programs to improve student success.
- Developed a better understanding of transfer patterns and student outcomes across the CSU.
- Identified and share current successes and challenges related to transfer and explore implications for student success and equity.
- Reflected as campus teams and apply learnings to individual campus needs and contexts.
- Discussed possible strategies for growing dedicated transfer support programs in the CSU.
- East Bay
- Long Beach
- San Bernardino
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Luis Obispo
- San Marcos
Cultivating connections webinar:
Following the Convening, Cal Poly Pomona invited participants to attend a webinar detailing the campus’s efforts to improve transfer student success.
Contact: Terra Thorne, Convenings Director
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 6 - SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 8, 2020
|10:00am||2019-20 Middle Leadership Academy Session 2|
THURSDAY, APRIL 2 - SATURDAY, APRIL 4, 2020
|10:00am||2019-20 Middle Leadership Academy Session 3|
MONDAY, APRIL 27, 2020
|8:00am||Equity-Minded Teaching & Learning Convening|
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 10 - FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2020
|8:00am||2020-21 1st Annual Student Success Conference|