Middle Leadership Academy
We are creating a space for evidence-based, collaborative learning and leadership development.
The Middle Leadership Academy is the professional learning arm of the CSU Student Success Network. Over the course of a year, the Academy brings together campus-based teams of CSU faculty, student affairs staff, researchers, and students in a collaborative and supportive environment to work on common issues related to student learning, engagement, progression and completion. The Academy is grounded in a problem-based learning model that motivates participants to “lead from the middle” as they explore and apply strategies to develop and implement on their campuses, with a focus on closing opportunity and outcomes gaps.
Teams of up to six participants from a CSU campus are partnered with a facilitator who helps guide the team and provides targeted support as they delve into an issue of equity on their campus.
At the end of the year-long institute, Middle Leadership Academy participants will be able to:
- Engage with existing research that explores the relationships between institutional needs, effective leadership, and student success;
- Apply research and evidence to make informed decisions that advance institutional change efforts;
- Strengthen the capacity to prioritize and lead departmental, institutional, and other changes through the process of evidence-based collaborative inquiry;
- Create and sustain professional relationships in which peers share ideas and strategize approaches around evidence-based leadership and institutional change;
- Develop leadership identity;
- Develop strategies to sustain and support leadership development; and
- Consider ways in which they and their institutions contribute to equity and inequity.
The 2019-20 Academy begins November 14.
Applications for the 2020-21 Academy will be available in Spring 2020.
Want to know more?
Watch presentations from previous Academy sessions
Dr. Tim Renick, Georgia State University, Atlanta Campus 2018-19 Middle Leadership Academy, March 7, 2019(Note: Due to technical difficulties, the first minute of the video was not recorded.)
Cameron Gage Stevenson & Adam Petersen, CSU San Marcos 2017-18 Middle Leadership Academy, June 2, 2018
Professor Myra Snell, Los Medanos College & Professor Tammi Marshall, Cuyamaca College 2017-18 Middle Leadership Academy, February 3, 2018
Contact: Bianca Mothe, Academy Director
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 27, 2019
|5:00pm||Deadline to Register | Convening: Growth Mindset and Sense of Belonging in the CSU|
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 25, 2019
|9:00am||Convening: Growth Mindset and Sense of Belonging in the CSU|
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 14 - SATURDAY NOVEMBER 16, 2019
|10:00am||2019-20 Middle Leadership Academy Session 1|
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 6 - SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 8, 2020
|10:00am||2019-20 Middle Leadership Academy Session 2|
THURSDAY, APRIL 2 - SATURDAY, APRIL 4, 2020
|10:00am||2019-20 Middle Leadership Academy Session 3|